Press TV to be taken off air
October 14, 2011
By Chris Forrester
UK broadcasting regulator Ofcom is understood to be about to take Iranian-backed Press TV off the air. Ofcom on October 13th confirmed that a decision to revoke Press TV’s broadcast licence is imminent.
Press TV has previously been cautioned against what Ofcom sees as a lack of balance in its reporting. However, the main reason for this latest problem was an interview with a Newsweek journalist, Maxiar Bahari while Bahari was in prison in Tehran facing espionage charges. Press TV filmed Bahari making a “confession”. Bahari is now free and living in London, but spent 118 days in prison, and at one stage was told he faced execution.
Press TV is widely regarded as a propaganda machine for Iran, although it has also attracted some highly-vocal British contributions from the likes of former MP George Galloway and Ken Livingstone (the former London Mayor).
Press TV, in a statement, said it considers the decision to be as a result of “mounting pressure on the organisation by certain members of the royal family and government”.
Other posts by :
- IRIS2 free for government usage?
- Bank: AST SpaceMobile will orbit 356 satellites by 2030
- SpaceX launches 600th rocket
- Starlink: 10m customers and counting
- SES predicts end of ‘big’ Geo satellites
- Amazon Leo gets approval for 4,504 extra satellites
- SpaceX gets a portion of India
- TerreStar wants to build LEO network
- Musk: “No Starlink phone”
