Strong growth in mobile video views
Content monetisation technology and services specialist FreeWheel has released its Video Monetisation Report – an executive briefing of trends it observed around monetising professional video content for Q2 2013. It hopes the report will provide some insight into best practices and broader trends for how publishers, advertisers, and consumers are all playing a role in the monetisation of professional video content.
According to FreeWheel, the dataset used for the report is one of the largest available on the usage and monetisation of professional, rights managed video content, and in Q2 2013 comprised over 18 billion video views.
Key findings from the report include:
- Video views increased 38 per cent year over year
- Both Linear+Digital and Digital Pure-Play publishers saw significant video view growth across all lengths of content; however long-form content is growing at half the rate of short-form.
- Long-form ad loads for Linear+Digital rose 12 per cent year over year, while mid and short-form ad loads remained flat.
- Digital Pure-Play drove over 80 per cent of ad views from short-form content, while Linear+Digital has released and monetised a more diverse content mix.
- Thirty second ads now comprise almost 50 per cent of all ad views with viewers completing :15 and :30 second ads at nearly identical rates.
- Mobile continues to show strong growth comprising 13.2 per cent of all views in Q2. However, monetisation has been a challenge, with mobile totalling only 5.6 per cent of total ad views.
- Tablets and OTT devices are more aligned with TV style viewing habits, with long-form content generating approximately 45 per cent of total ad views.