English YouTube channels lose out to Euro peers
French and German Original Channels have an average of 14 million views per channel, compared with the UK’s 11 million. There were fewer non-English language channels at launch, but they have been more than pulling their weight. All three of the top individual channels (as in the first point) are non-English language. Because UK users move easily between home-grown and US content, one explanation could be that they do not concentrate their attention on UK output. The pool of professionalised online content in French and German is smaller, and therefore the Original Channels in those languages find it easier to stand out.
The most-watched genre is Automotive, with 40 million views on average per channel – mostly driven by the fantastically popular Motorvision channel. The huge amount of Entertainment channels launched – 16 in all – have also performed very strongly, with 11.6 million views per channel on average.
Comedy dominates in the rankings by subscribers. Comedy channels Ponk (485,000 subscribers) and Studio Bagel (836,000 subscribers), the two outstandingly popular comedy channels, have 23 per cent of the total Original Channel subscriptions.
- The top players take a huge share of the overall views for YouTube Original Channels.
- The three biggest sites are Motorvision – a German automotive channel run by MV Media (69million views, 12 per cent of all Original Channel views), French production company Black Dynamite’s comedy channel Studio Bagel (63 million views, 11 per cent of the total) and Mediakraft’s German comedy channel Ponk (53 million views, 10 per cent of the total).
- The top three account for 33 per cent of the total Original Channel views this year.
- In terms of subscriptions, the top 5 channels take 42 per cent of the total.
Top 10 EU Original Channels by views:
1. Motorvision (69 million)
2. Studio Bagel (63 million)
3. Ponk (53 million)
4. BBC Earth (40 million)
5. Copa90 (30 million)
6. The Very Watch (25 million)
7. /Football (23 million)
8. Doctissimo Play (21 million)
9. Jamie Oliver’s Food Tube (19 million)
10. Daily Mix (17 million)