Advanced Television

Pay TV market worth $40bn+ by 2014

April 6, 2009

Research from Informa shows that 44 per cent of TV homes in the Asia Pacific region will receive digital signals in 2014, up from just 17 per cent at the end of 2008. The 13th edition of Asia Pacific TV report shows that China will account for more than half of the region's digital total by 2014.

In terms of revenues, the pay TV market will undergo a more than seven-fold increase in value, to be worth more than $40 billion by 2014. This will be assisted by the rise of triple-play bundles, from both IPTV and cable, which are starting to have a major impact on the sector, particularly as a customer retention tool.

Informa's forecasts indicate that by 2014, only 34 per cent of IPTV subscribers will be standalone TV subscribers, with the other 66 per cent taking bundles with broadband or telephony. For cable, triple-play will be a little less pervasive, with 70 per cent of TV subscribers standalone and the other 30 per cent taking bundles.

Categories: Broadcast, Pay TV, Research Library