Advanced Television

Italian DTT receiver sales top 13 million

May 22, 2009

From Branislav Pekic in Rome

According to the latest DGTVi survey conducted inFebruary 2009, the number of Italian households equipped with at least one DTT receiver in their main home arrived to 8.11m or 2.7 million more than one year earlier. The total number of DTT boxes in main homes was 9.84m an increase of 3.9 million in one year, bringing the total receiver base in Italy to over 13 million.

The percentage of receivers integrated in TV sets (which is an obligation for all TV sets on the Italian market from April of this year) increased to 43.2 per cent, while standalone digital boxes were responsible for 56.8 per cent of the total.

Meanwhile, market data from Gfk indicates that in February 2009 a total of 529,000 DTT boxes were sold, of which 384,000 (72.6 per cent) were integrated in other devices, while the remaining 145,000 (27.4 per cent) were stand-alone.

DTT consumption is also up, with digital TV channels ending March with an overall 10.8 per cent share of the TV market.


Categories: Articles, Broadcast, DTT/DSO