Advanced Television

UK: Content providers will pay 75% of ‘3 strikes’ cost

September 15, 2010

Vaizey: rights holder will pay 75%

Copyright holders would be paying 75 per cent of any infringement challenge costs according to the Minister of Communications, Ed Vaizey.  ISP’s would be paying the remaining 25 per cent of the costs.  This will include funding free appeals for those who are accused of downloading or sharing copyrighted material, though the Department says it will review this “should it become clear that a large number of vexatious appeals result.”

One of out ten people in the UK download or share copyrighted material without authorisation from the digital rights holder, according to research.

According to Vaizey, this move could generate an additional £200 million (E240m) for the digital content industry.

Categories: Articles, Broadband, Content, Regulation