RESEARCH: More time spent on mobile than TV
March 1, 2012
Initial findings from the Mobile Media Consumption Q4 2011 survey conducted by independent mobile advertising network InMobi suggest that mobile has surpassed TV in terms of time spent,with mobile web users spending 27 per cent of their media time on mobile and spending 22 per cent of their media time on TV.
InMobi suggests that mobile consumers recognise the impact of mobile advertising on purchase behaviour and their willingness to transact over mobile, with: three quarters planning to conduct mCommerce activities within the next year (76 per cent) and 42 per cent claiming that mobile advertising has introduced them to something new.
Other trends emerging from the survey include:
- On any given day, mobile web users spend 27 per cent of their media time on mobile, 22 per cent on TV and 32 per cent online.
- Availability, ease of use, and privacy are the top three driving factors to be on mobile
- Social media, entertainment, and search are the top three mobile media activities among mobile web users. This popularity will continue to grow in the next 12 months
- Mobile, PCs, and TV are the most powerful media that influence the purchase decision among mobile users
- 66 per cent of mobile users are just as comfortable with mobile advertising as they are with TV or online advertising
InMobi also discovered that advertising on mobile devices has led to mobile gaining tremendous popularity as a viable shopping channel, with:
- 42 per cent of respondents indicating that mobile ads have introduced them to something new
- 23 per cent of respondents indicating that mobile ads saves time and money
- 14 per cent of respondents indicating that mobile ads have influenced them to buy via mobile
According to Naveen Tewari, CEO, InMobi, mobile devices are redefining the media landscape across the world. “As we move into 2012, we will continue to see these trends rapidly accelerate as consumers rely ever more heavily on their mobile device. While the opportunities to exploit mobile media remain strong, the stakeholders across the industry will be confronted with ongoing questions and challenges which need to be addressed in order to meet the growing expectations of the customer,” he advised.