Broadcom has announced the BCM7014, the industry’s most integrated single chip standard definition MPEG2 cable set-top box (STB) system-on-a-chip (SoC) solution. Broadcom’s new platform is designed to accelerate India’s cable TV digitisation initiative by providing a cost-efficient system capable of rapid, wide-scale deployment. For more news, visit Broadcom’s Newsroom.
Broadcom’s technology can quickly transition India’s 94 million analog cable TV households to new digital services. With the upcoming government mandate for staged analog shut-off deadlines, India’s cable TV market is poised for a broad network upgrade to provide compelling and low cost digital services.
– Ultra Low Cost: integrated DVB-C tuner, demodulator, MPEG2 A/V decoder, regulators controller, A/V outputs and RF Modulator replacing many discrete components with a single integrated SoC for an unprecedented level of integration and cost efficiency.
– Faster Channel Surfing: Broadcom’s field proven FastRTV fast channel change technology accelerates channel switches at speeds of up to five times faster than other deployed solutions. This addresses a key pain point for consumers and operators who move to an all-digital TV service.
– Consistent Volume: new Adaptive Volume Leveling support automatically maintains constant volume across commercial, program and channel changes.
– Integrated Third Generation Silicon Tuner: field tested extensively in Indian conditions, Broadcom’s BCM7014 meets Indian operator requirements and integration capabilities at lower overall costs.
– Fast Boot-up and Ultra Low Power: integrated power management controller reduces average power consumption up to 65 per cent in a typical day and fast resume technology enable quick booting to video in as little as few seconds.
– Small Design: a 2-layer reference design achieves a size of only 4 x 2.5 inches with minimal external components.
– Software: Broadcom’s field-proven reference software stack and application available in an ultra small memory footprint accelerates design, qualifications and deployment.
– Availability: The Broadcom BCM7014 is now shipping in volumes across the globe. Set-top box designs are now ready for immediate deployment in India.
Dan Marotta, Broadcom Executive Vice President & General Manager said: “Broadcom is committed to meeting the demands for India’s cable digitisation efforts with low cost designs and key user benefits that satisfy the growing market for Indian cable TV. With quick channel change speed and volume leveling technology, Broadcom solves common problems that occur when migrating from analog to digital TV.”