Advanced Television

Brazil DSO to be missed

April 19, 2012

By Chris Forrester

Brazil’s planned digital switch-off for 2016 is set to be missed. Broadcasting giant TV Globo’s engineering director Fernando Bittencourt is quoted in Brazil as saying bluntly that the date is not likely to happen.

Speaking to a local TV listings magazine, Bittencourt said there would not be problems in fulfilling digital transmissions to major cities and towns of above 50,000. TV Globo is already well ahead with those plans in time for the Brazilian FIFA World Cup, and the digital plans will cove r some 70 per cent of the population. However, it is reaching the remaining 30 per cent that will likely miss the planned cut-off date.

Bittencourt said one option is to focus on getting satellite signals to these smaller communities, but that this is not currently being planned. “We rely on a successful terrestrial TV model that enables local programming and advertising. We are not willing to reduce that model”.

Categories: Articles, Broadcast, DSO