Harmonic takes next-generation video multiscreen solutions on the road to CABSAT and TV Connect
March 1, 2013
Harmonic, a spcialist in video delivery infrastructure, has announced that it will showcase a comprehensive range of next-generation multiscreen production and delivery solutions at two tradeshows this March — CABSAT in Dubai and TV Connect in London. Designed to optimise multiscreen workflows, Harmonic solutions enable broadcasters and operators to efficiently prepare and deliver high-quality video content to any viewing device.
“CABSAT and TV Connect provide Harmonic with perfect platforms to address broadcasters and operators in a wide variety of markets, including Europe, Africa, and the Middle East,” said Peter Alexander, senior vice president of marketing and chief marketing officer at Harmonic. “These geographic regions have demonstrated tremendous growth in recent times in the deployment of pay TV, and subsequently, value-added services such as multiscreen. We take this opportunity to show how Harmonic solutions bring bandwidth efficiencies, operational cost savings, and amazing video quality to such deployments.”
At CABSAT and TV Connect, Harmonic will highlight its extensive portfolio of multiscreen video encoding and stream processing solutions optimized for real-time and file-based production and processing workflows. Featured demonstrations include:
• HEVC high-performance encoding featuring the next-generation H.265 compression standard, which promises to improve OTT delivery and support a wide range of compelling applications.
• MPEG-DASH streaming based on Harmonic’s acclaimed compression technology. This technology was recently used to power the world’s first DASH service, jointly deployed by Abertis Telecom and Nagra.
• ProStream 9000 with ACE, a new high-density real-time stream processor and transcoder that delivers increased performance and maximizes service uptime for broadcast and OTT services.
• Electra, the industry-leading encoding platform that enables high-quality, low-bandwidth encoding featuring multiresolution, multistandard, multiprofile, multiservice, and multichannel capabilities for cable, satellite, IPTV, and terrestrial broadcast applications.
• ProMedia Suite, a powerful family of integrated software applications that optimise multiscreen production and delivery workflows with new levels of scalability, efficiency and flexibility. The newest edition, ProMedia Xpress, delivers high-performance, GPU-free file-based transcoding and packaging on a standard IT computing infrastructure.
Harmonic will also showcase a variety of storage and playout solutions, including:
• Spectrum ChannelPort integrated channel-in-a-box playout, extending Spectrum media server systems that combine channel branding and master control switching with clip playout to simplify integration and workflow, lower equipment purchase expenditure, and reduce maintenance and operations costs. Recent enhancements include DVE functionality to enable high-end graphics presentations; AVC-Intra playout support to accelerate the production-to-playout workflow; and a new dynamic subtitle insertion capability that supports just-in-time playout of multilingual content.