James Murdoch to chair Sky Deutschland
September 27, 2013
The Supervisory Board of Sky Deutschland has elected James Murdoch, Deputy Chief Operating Officer, Chairman and CEO, International, 21st Century Fox as Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the pay-TV operator as of September 27th, 2013. Murdoch, who was appointed a member of the Supervisory Board on April 18th 2013, follows Chase Carey, President and Chief Operating Officer, 21st Century Fox. Carey, who has served as Chairman since July 16th 2010, will remain a member of Sky Deutschland’s Supervisory Board.
The Supervisory Board of Sky Deutschland AG will comprise the following nine members:
- James Murdoch (Chairman of the Supervisory Board), Deputy Chief Operating Officer, Chairman and CEO, International, 21st Century Fox, New York, USA
- Markus Tellenbach (Deputy Chairman of the Supervisory Board), President and CEO, TVN S.A. Warsaw, Poland
- Chase Carey, President and Chief Operating Officer, 21st Century Fox, New York, USA
- Dr. Stefan Jentzsch, Partner, Perella Weinberg Partners LLC, London, United Kingdom
- Mark Kaner, President, 20th Century Fox Television Distribution, Los Angeles, USA
- Jan Koeppen, Chief Operating Officer, Europe and Asia, 21st Century Fox, London, United Kingdom
- Miriam Kraus, Senior Vice President, Head of Global Governance, Risk & Compliance, SAP AG, Walldorf, Germany
- Harald Rösch, Independent Corporate and Investment Consultant, Hamburg, Germany
- Katrin Wehr-Seiter, Managing Director, BIP Investment Partners, Luxembourg
As 21st Century Fox’s Deputy Chief Operating Officer, Murdoch works across the Company’s global portfolio of assets which reach nearly 1.5 billion customers every day through cable, broadcast, film and pay-TV platforms spanning six continents. He also has direct responsibility for the strategic and operational development of the Company’s businesses in Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
Sky Deutschland says that Murdoch has built a track record of bringing innovation to the global television business and choice to customers across Europe and Asia. He previously served as News Corporation’s Chairman and CEO for Europe and Asia and as BSkyB’s Chief Executive Officer from 2003 to 2007, and Chairman from 2007 until 2012. During his tenure BSkyB grew to more than 10 million customers and launched the UK’s first nationwide HD offering as well as its market-leading Broadband and voice services and ‘Anytime’, an on-demand Internet television business.
From 2000 to 2003, Murdoch was Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of STAR, 21st Century Fox’s Asian satellite television and multimedia group. Under his leadership the Company established itself as the premier content and broadcasting company in India, South East Asia and Taiwan.
Murdoch serves as a board member for both 21st Century Fox and News Corp, which became independent companies following the separation of News Corporation in 2013 and is a Non-Executive Director of BSkyB.