Discovery “record-breaking” quarter
October 29, 2014
Discovery Networks International has closed the books on its biggest-ever quarter, with record viewing levels and online growth internationally. Reaching 643 million viewers outside the US (+6 per cent year-on-year) during Q3 2014, the pay-TV programmer continues to enjoy exponential growth – charting its highest-ever average audience (+8 per cent) and delivering new highs among digital audiences for its non-US websites (+11 per cent) and Facebook fans (+217 per cent).
JB Perrette, President, Discovery Networks International, commented: “Discovery’s international business continues to grow organically and reach new heights, as evidenced by another record-breaking quarter. With solid global brands, immersive programming and multi-platform fan engagement spanning more than 220 countries and territories around the world, Discovery continues to satisfy viewers’ curiosity and be a valued destination for compelling storytelling, larger-than-life characters and must-have content that is second to none.”
Highest-ever average audience
– Discovery Networks International reached a new record average audience of 3 million viewers (+8 per cent), supported by outstanding performance for Discovery Kids which experienced +23 per cent growth fuelled by key markets such as Brazil and India, in addition to impressive growth for Discovery Home & Health, particularly in Brazil and Argentina.
– Discovery’s FTA networks – including DMAX Germany, DMAX Italy, Real Time Italy and Discovery MAX, Spain – continue to deliver double-digit growth (+11 per cent) overall.
– Global brands continue to drive more growth, including Animal Planet, up +8 per cent, as well as Investigation Discovery and TLC, both up +7 per cent.
– Discovery Networks International attracted 10 million unique visitors (+11 per cent) to its non-US websites and grew its international Facebook footprint to 42 million fans (+217 per cent) this quarter.
– In May 2014, Discovery Communications took controlling ownership of Eurosport, adding sports to its portfolio of must-have content. During its first full quarter of controlling ownership, Eurosport delivered an additional average of 209,000 audience, reached an additional 16 million television viewers, saw 58 million monthly unique Eurosport website users, and grew its Facebook footprint to 4 million fans.