Advanced Television

Abertis buys Italian ‘towers’ business

March 2, 2015

By Chris Forrester

Spanish infrastructure company Abertis, which holds stock in satellite operator Hispasat, has bought 90 per cent of the transmissions towers business of telco Wind, in Italy.  Russia’s Vimpelcom holds the remaining 10 per cent.

Vimpelcom is the world’s sixth-largest mobile operator with some 214 million subs, mostly in Russia but with 31 per cent of its revenues coming from its Italian Wind subsidiary. Norway’s Telenor is a major shareholder in Vimpelcom.

Last year Abertis acquired TowerCo, paying €94.6 million for the system which handles transmissions around the Italian autoroute network.

Categories: Articles, Business, M&A, Telco