Australia beat NZ in Rugby World Cup on social
November 4, 2015
4C, a data science company, has revealed the results of its Rugby World Cup tracking on television and social media, providing insight into the behaviour of 1.5 billion unique social media users across 250,000 interest categories, 50,000 brands, 6,000 TV programmes, and 41 languages. Additional data was analysed through 4C’s Teletrax global TV monitoring network, which monitors more than 2,100 channels in 76 countries.
One of the key results was that although the All Blacks team from New Zealand won the Rugby World Cup final, it was the Aussies that emerged victorious in terms of Total Engagement and Engagement Lift.
“Luckily for the All Blacks from New Zealand, the winners of the Rugby World Cup, the tournament was not decided by engagement lift, because if it had the final would have seen Australia beat Ireland!” commented Andy Nobbs, SVP, Global TV Analytics Sales and EMEA Activation at 4C.
“Looking at the brands there were a number of great performances from Coca Cola, Emirates, Heineken, Land Rover, Microsoft, Samsung but it’s probably SSE who lifted the advertising cup, with it’s TV advertising-led campaign providing a more than 12 times lift in engagement for the newly branded utility company,” concluded Nobbs.
Highlights from the 4C data study included:
• More than 16 million social engagements during the entire Rugby World Cup tournament
• New Zealand won the cup, but Australia won the tournament in terms of engagements (Aus: 2,826,786 v NZ: 2,326,884) and engagement lift (Aus: 4.09 v NZ: 2.0)
• Australia generated more engagements during the final match (Aus: 287,407 v NZ: 225,233)
• Notable advertisers were:
- Heineken: High number of engagers, engagements, engagement lift (5.7), and affinity for the World Cup
- Samsung: Highest affinity for the World Cup (large number of people interacting with Samsung & World Cup)
- SSE: Highest engagement lift (245.8), 2nd highest TV advertising time (224.0 minutes)
- Emirates: Strong engagements, engagement lift and affinity
- Coca Cola: Highest number of engagements (14,782)
- Land Rover: Top TV advertiser (246.5 minutes), strong affinity for World Cup
- Microsoft: Strong engagers, engagements, affinity for world cup and TV advertising time
• Top teams for the notable advertisers:
- New Zealand was the most popular team among brand engagers
- People who engaged with Samsung and Land Rover engaged with England
- Scotland and Wales Rugby teams were most popular among people who engaged with SSE
4C’s data science is built on more than 30 years of computational science research by Founder and Chief Scientist, Dr. Alok Choudhary, at prestigious institutions including Northwestern University. Its patented technology also leverages hardware and intellectual property acquired through Civolution and Royal Philips Electronics. 4C is the only company in the world that combines and analyses data at scale from social media, set-top boxes, and TV ad schedules as well as TV program and ad occurrences.