81% US households DVR, VoD users or Netflix subs
February 5, 2016
Findings from Leichtman Research Group indicate that 81 per cent of US households have a DVR, get Netflix, or use VoD from a cable or Telco provider — with 30 per cent of households using two of the services, and 13 per cent using all three.
The survey also found that 57 per cent of households take a subscription VoD service from Netflix, Amazon Prime, and/or Hulu. Overall, 48 per cent of adults stream any of these services on a monthly basis.
These findings are based on a survey of 1,214 households throughout the US, and are part of LRG’s study, On-Demand TV XIV. This is LRG’s fourteenth annual study on this topic.
Other related findings include:
- 77 per cent of ages 18-24 stream an SVOD service monthly — compared to 63 per cent of ages 25-44, 50 per cent of ages 45-54, and 23 per cent of ages 55+
- 37 per cent of all adults stream Netflix weekly — compared to 8 per cent in 2010
- 83 per cent of Netflix streaming users watch Netflix on a TV set
- 64 per cent of pay-TV subscribers have a DVR — compared to 45 per cent in 2010
- 65 per cent of households with annual incomes >$75,000 have a DVR — compared to 35 per cent with household incomes <$30,000
- 74 per cent of all Telco video subscribers and 61 per cent of all cable subscribers have ever used VoD from their current provider
- 51 per cent of all cable subscribers used VoD in the past month — compared to 34 per cent in 2010
- Last year, 76 per cent of households had a DVR, or Netflix, or used VoD — compared to 70 per cent two years ago
“In 2005, 25 per cent of cable subscribers had ever used VoD, 8 per cent of all households had a DVR, and about 4 per cent of households subscribed to Netflix’s DVD-by-mail movie delivery service. These services have significantly evolved over the past decade,” said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group. “Today, over 80 per cent of households get at least one of these services, and in recent years Netflix and other streaming SVoD offerings have expanded the use and popularity of on-Demand TV.”