Optical network equipment market $12.5bn in 2015
February 24, 2016
The global optical network equipment market totalled $12.5 billion in 2015, growing 3 per cent from the prior year, reports IHS in its Optical Network Hardware Market Tracker.
“After a subdued Q3 2015, this quarter’s results represent a much-needed boost to the optical hardware market, with revenues demonstrating the fastest-growing fourth quarter for five years. Huawei and Alcatel-Lucent, in particular, performed well in the quarter, both gaining significantly in share compared to Q3 2015,” said Alex Green, senior research director for IT and networking at IHS.
Additional report highlights include:
- In the 4th quarter of 2015, worldwide optical spending was $3.5 billion, up 17 per cent sequentially, and up 10 per cent from the year-ago quarter.
- Spending on wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) equipment in Q4 2015 totalled $3.1 billion, up 18 per cent from Q4 2014
- EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) has not yet come out of its era of slow optical spending, showing a rolling quarter decline of 3 per cent in Q4 2015
- And in North America there was somewhat of a bounce back in Q4 after a flat Q3, with the region seeing 5 per cent rolling 4-quarter growth
- For the full-year 2015, the top 5 optical hardware market share leaders are, in rank order, Huawei, Ciena, Alcatel-Lucent, ZTE and Infinera