BitTorrent Live unveiled
May 17, 2016
Peer-to-peer file sharing protocol and software company BitTorrent has unveiled a multichannel app for live and linear programming, which it says solves provisioning and lag time problems for live online broadcasting. It features free tier of channels spanning news, sports, music, tech, and youth culture.
BitTorrent says it has changed the way the Internet works, and more than once. “We are about to do it again with our sights firmly set on fixing the way live video streaming works,” it says, noting that there has been enormous innovation in the distribution methods for pre-recorded video content on the internet. “This has changed the way people watch scripted TV and movies. Unlike on-demand video streaming, which has established itself as a reliable consumption method, livestreaming broadcast is an ongoing problem in terms of both performance and monetisation,” it notes.
According to BitTorrent, live television is a communal event that is shared by a society. The vast majority of the most watched television in the history of the medium have been live sports, news, and events, simultaneously consumed. “Yet, there has been very little innovation around the distribution of live video on the Internet,” it suggests.
“Today we’re unveiling a solution to these problems: BitTorrent Live, a multichannel, live and linear video streaming platform spanning news, sports, music, tech, and youth culture,” it says.
“Powered by our proprietary and patented peer-to-peer live streaming protocol, BitTorrent Live allows for large audiences to view live video with sub 10-second latency and without the need for an expensive CDN or pre-provisioning. With BitTorrent Live, every viewer is also a broadcaster. This allows the video stream to remain strong and for the broadcast to be as scalable as traditional Over-the-Air TV,” it advises.
“Last year Bob Bowman (head of MLBAM) told Walt Mossberg in regards to the difficulty of large scale live video streaming of sports, declaring, ‘Is that a business model or is that a stunt? I don’t know?’ Well, BitTorrent Live is the platform that can turn large scale live streaming into a business model,” declared Erik Schwartz, VP of Media, BitTorrent Live
BitTorrent Live Programming
A free tier of programming will be available at launch, with linear channels that contain live events, including:
- AWE: Formerly known as WealthTV, AWE is a 24/7 network devoted to taking viewers on a journey of how wealth is achieved, used and enjoyed.
- Clubbing TV: The official media partner of some of the planet’s biggest electro festivals, Clubbing TV offers exclusive, quality electronic music content from artists and labels all around the globe embracing the entire the Dance Music lifestyle.
- FAST&FUN is a new Television Channel offering an action-packed, adrenaline-including medley of extreme sports, from car racing and motocross to snowboarding and skateboarding; a large variety of disciplines, shows and competitions from all over the world.
- Fightbox: From MMA and boxing to arm wrestling and sumo, Fightbox is a compilation of the finest combat sports from around the globe all on one channel.
- Filmbox Arthouse: Every month FilmBox Arthouse also airs special presentations devoted to a particular creative movement (German Expressionism, New Romanian Cinema) or individual filmmakers (The Surreal Art of Salvador Dali, Rossellini’s War Trilogy, etc.)
- Heroes TV: Delivers what action, adventure fanatics want. Heroes TV targets audiences with Multiple programming categories to offer the most comprehensive action, adventure line up on TV.
- Newsmax: Newsmax TV provides the latest news, expert views and live programming from your favourite TV hosts and A-list guests. (conservative programming)
- NUsicTV: Delivers the finest new independent artists at the forefront of music in a linear broadcast, allowing viewers to discover the vanguard in music without having to search the Internet.
- OANN: Features political analysis programming and political talk shows, along with network special documentary-style reports; its news coverage attempts to maintain objectivity while its political shows illustrate a stronger conservative lean.
- One World Sports: It features exclusive, live, world-class sporting events and premier matchups from around the world, with over 3,000 hours of unduplicated sports programming annually. Content focus is on live and same-day action of league, championship and qualification competitions in football, basketball, baseball, golf, table tennis, badminton, darts, and more.
- OpenNews TV: OpenNews TV brings you live video talk shows from the best progressive talk radio personalities.
- Pursuit Channel: Pursuit Channel is a television network that airs programming geared to hunting, fishing, and outdoor recreation.
- TWiT: The TWiT.tv Netcast Network with Leo Laporte features the #1 ranked technology podcast This Week in Tech, along with over 20 other top-ranked online shows.
“We’re just getting started, so stay tuned,” says BitTorrent, advising that additional channels will follow, including subscription based, ad supported, and Pay-Per-View premium tiers.