Eutelsat spat with Med Nuçe in Court
October 28, 2016
Eutelsat’s spat with Kurdish-backed Med Nuçe TV is being heard in the Paris Constitutional Court. Eutelsat took the channel down on October 3rd. A hearing before the Court was held in public on October 26th.
A report in the Kurdish press said that Eutelsat’s lawyer confirmed that the channel had been taken down following a request from Turkey, initially made in May this year and ahead of the coup attempt on July 15th. The Court was also told that Med Nuçe TV held a 6-year broadcast permit issued by Italy and in place since 2015.
Med Nuçe lawyers are requesting that the Court force Eutelsat to resume Med Nuçe’s broadcasts.
Eutelsat’s lawyers said that the contract it had in place with Med Nuçe, via a Belgium intermediary, had been cancelled, but there was an option for the channel to broadcast from two other potential frequencies.
The hearing was adjourned until November 14th.