Dolby Cinema showcases strong spring line-up
February 9, 2017
Dolby Laboratories has announced 13 new titles, adding to the growing slate of movies to be shown at more than 75 Dolby Cinema locations around the globe. The titles include Warner Bros. Pictures and LEGO Systems A/S’ The LEGO Batman Movie; Universal Pictures’ Fifty Shades Darker; Twentieth Century Fox’s Logan; Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures’ Kong: Skull Island; Lionsgate Entertainment’s Power Rangers; Paramount Pictures/DreamWorks’ Ghost in the Shell; Universal Pictures’ The Fate of the Furious; Twentieth Century Fox’s Alien: Covenant; Universal Pictures’ The Mummy; Paramount Pictures’ Transformers: The Last Knight; Columbia Pictures’ Spider-Man: Homecoming; Twentieth Century Fox’s War for the Planet of the Apes and Columbia Pictures/MRC’s The Dark Tower.
Dolby Cinema is a premium cinema offering for moviegoers that combines spectacular image and sound technologies with inspired design to deliver the total cinema experience, making every visit a completely captivating cinematic experience.
“The captivating imagery and mesmerizing sound that only Dolby Cinema can offer is prominently showcased in this diverse slate of titles,” said Doug Darrow, Senior Vice President, Cinema Business Group, Dolby Laboratories. “With every major studio delivering a Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos mastered title to Dolby Cinema in 2017, we appreciate distribution’s tremendous support and desire to bring a best-in-class experience to audiences around the world.”
Dolby Cinema begins with the filmmakers’ vision—using the full storytelling capabilities that Dolby offers in image and sound production to transform the way movies are made and presented. With state-of-the-art image, sound, and acoustic capabilities, the movie comes alive to deliver cinema in its purest form.
“Dolby Cinema adds to the fun and excitement of The LEGO Batman Movie, with amazing color and spectacular moving audio,” said the film’s director Chris McKay. “We are thrilled to be the first motion picture to be released in Dolby Cinema, where the entire feature goes beyond the standard color range, using the full capabilities of Dolby Vision wide color gamut grading and playback, to deliver colors never seen before on standard screens. The brilliant colors combined with the stellar Dolby Atmos soundtrack will immerse audiences into the world of LEGO as never before.”
These new titles join a strong slate of already announced features coming to Dolby Cinema in 2017:
- Warner Bros. Pictures/LEGO System A/S, The LEGO Batman Movie, February 10
- Universal Pictures, Fifty Shades Darker, February 10
- Legendary/Universal Pictures, The Great Wall, February 17
- Twentieth Century Fox, Logan, March 3
- Warner Bros. Pictures/Legendary Pictures, Kong: Skull Island, March 10
- Disney, Beauty and the Beast, March 17
- Lionsgate, Power Rangers, March 24
- Paramount Pictures/DreamWorks, Ghost in the Shell, March 31
- Universal Pictures, The Fate of the Furious, April 14
- Disney, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2, May 5
- Twentieth Century Fox, Alien: Covenant, May 19
- Disney, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, May 26
- Warner Bros. Pictures, Wonder Woman, June 2
- Universal Pictures, The Mummy, June 9
- Disney•Pixar, Cars 3, June 16
- Paramount Pictures, Transformers: The Last Knight, June 23
- Columbia Pictures, Spider-Man™: Homecoming, July 7
- Twentieth Century Fox, War for the Planet of the Apes, July 14
- Columbia Pictures/MRC, The Dark Tower, July 28
To date, 77 Dolby Cinema titles have been released or announced. Dolby Cinema enables richer and more action-packed storytelling through Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. The Dolby Vision projection system, which uses state-of-the-art optics and image processing, delivers high dynamic range with enhanced color technology and a contrast ratio that far exceeds that of any other image technology on the market today. The result is a dramatically different viewing experience that presents strikingly vivid and realistic images, making viewers feel like they are inside the movie’s world. Dolby Cinema also includes the award-winning Dolby sound technology Dolby Atmos, which moves audio around the cinema, even overhead, placing the audience deeper inside the film’s setting.