YouTube $35 live TV
March 1, 2017
By Colin Mann
YouTube is to offer live TV streaming from a range of leading US broadcast networks in a $35 (€32.20) per month package set to redefine the relationship between linear and OTT TV and attract cord-cutters.
Writing in the company blog, Christian Oestlien, Product Management Director, notes that consumers have made it clear that they want live TV without all the hassle. “They don’t want to worry about their DVR filling up. They don’t want to miss a great game or their favourite show because they’re on the go. They tell us they want TV to be more like YouTube,” he observes.
“Well, we’ve got some good news! We’re bringing the best of the YouTube experience to live TV. To do this, we’ve worked closely with our network and affiliate partners to evolve TV for the way we watch today. Meet YouTube TV. It’s live TV designed for the YouTube generation—those who want to watch what they want, when they want, how they want, without commitments,”.
Here’s what YouTube TV offers:
- Live TV streaming from ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN, regional sports networks and dozens of popular cable networks. YouTube TV gives you the best of live TV, from must-see broadcast shows such as Empire, The Voice, The Big Bang Theory and Scandal, to live sports a viewer wants. YouTube TV includes major sports networks such as ESPN and regional sports networks such as Fox Sports Networks and Comcast SportsNet, so you can watch your favourite NBA or MLB teams.
“We’ve also partnered with local TV stations, so you’ll also get sports and local news based on where you live. And YouTube TV offers dozens of additional cable channels, so you won’t miss out on the latest news from MSNBC or Fox News, popular shows and movies from USA or FX, kids programming from the Disney Channel or Sprout, or reality TV from E! or Bravo. You can also add Showtime, or Fox Soccer Plus to your networks for an additional charge. In total, YouTube TV gives you access to more than 40 networks,” advises Oestlien.
- A cloud DVR, with no storage limits. “With YouTube TV, you’ll be able to record live TV and never run out of storage. Your cloud DVR can record as many shows as you want, simultaneously, without using precious data or space on your phone and we’ll store each of your recordings for nine months,” says Oestlien.
- A service that works great on all a user’s screens. “You can watch YouTube TV on any screen—mobile, tablet or computer—and you can easily stream to your TV with a Google Chromecast or Chromecast built-in TV. YouTube TV works on both Android and iOS. And your cloud DVR goes with you, so you can stream your recordings on any device, whenever and wherever you want,” he says.
- YouTube Red Originals. “With a YouTube TV membership, you can watch all of our YouTube Red Original series and movies right on the new YouTube TV app,” he notes.
- Six accounts, one price. “Every YouTube TV membership comes with six accounts, each with its own unique recommendations and personal DVR with no storage limits. You can watch up to three concurrent streams at a time,” he confirms.
- Half the cost of cable with zero commitments. “A YouTube TV membership is only $35 a month and there are no commitments—you can cancel anytime,” he advises.
YouTube TV will be available soon in the largest US markets and will quickly expand to cover more cities across the country.
“Visit tv.youtube.com and sign up to find out when we’ll launch in your market. With so much great content available on TV, we’re thrilled to build an experience that lets you enjoy it as easily as you watch YouTube. We can’t wait for you to tune in,” declares Oestlien.