YouTube TV goes live
April 6, 2017
By Colin Mann
YouTube is launching its YouTube TV service in five US cities at a cost of $35 (€32.90) a month, which it points out is “less than half the average cost of cable”.
Suggesting in a Blog post that it is enabling TV fans to access the channels they care about, at a price they can afford, without all the commitments, equipment fees, and hassle, it describes YouTube TV as “live TV made for us”.
YouTube TV is launching in the nation’s largest metro areas—New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and Philadelphia—with more US markets coming soon. “A YouTube TV membership is only $35 a month, less than half the average cost of cable,” says Andrew Jeon, Head Engineer for YouTube TV. “And there are no commitments; you can cancel anytime. We can’t wait for you to experience YouTube TV for yourself, so we’re giving you a free one month trial. We’ll also give you a complimentary Google Chromecast after your first month’s payment, while supplies last,” he advises.
A YouTube TV membership includes:
- Live TV streaming from ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN, Fox Sports Networks, Comcast SportsNet and dozens more. YouTube TV gives “the best of live TV, from must-see shows such as Empire, The Voice, The Big Bang Theory and Scandal, to the live sports from the NBA, MLB, NFL, and NCAA. “Based on where you live, you’ll get your local broadcast TV stations covering local sports and news. You’ll also get dozens of popular cable channels, including FX, USA, Disney Channel, Bravo, MSNBC, Fox News. And you can add Showtime or Fox Soccer Plus for an additional charge. In total, YouTube TV will give you more than 50 networks,” writes Jeon.
- A cloud DVR, with no storage limits. With YouTube TV, your cloud DVR can record as many shows as you want, simultaneously, without ever running out of storage. You can keep each of your recordings for nine months.
- TV when it matters, where it matters. You can watch YouTube TV on your phone, tablet or computer—and you can easily stream to your TV with a Google Chromecast or Chromecast built-in TV (we’ll be supporting even more connected TV devices later this year). And your cloud DVR goes with you, so you can stream your recordings on any device, whenever you want and wherever you go in the US.
- YouTube Red Originals. With a YouTube TV membership, you can watch all of our YouTube Red Original series and movies right in the new YouTube TV app.
- Six accounts included. You can share your YouTube TV membership with your family and roommates, and each account will receive its own unique recommendations and cloud DVR with no storage limits. Your household can watch up to three streams at a time.
- More networks coming soon. We’re excited to announce that AMC, BBC America, IFC, Sundance TV, WE tv, and BBC World News will be included soon at no additional charge. These networks will join Telemundo and others listed below as networks coming to YouTube TV soon after launch. This means you’ll be able to watch shows like The Walking Dead, Doctor Who, and your favourite telenovelas. And you’ll also be able to add Sundance Now or Shudder for an additional charge.
“To get started, check out tv.youtube.com today to start your free trial,” suggests Jeon.