France: 40% growth for SVoD market
November 15, 2017
From Pascale Paoli-Lebailly in Paris
The numbers of SVoD users in France has grown by 40 per cent in 2017 so far, mainly driven by Netflix, ahead of French counterparts Canalplay and SFR Play, and Amazon Prime Video which has newly launched in the country.
Some 21 per cent of Internet users now subscribe to SVoD, up from 15 per cent a year ago, according to data from ratings institute Médiamétrie.
The data also shows that:
- SVoD players have raised their brand awareness, with 9 out of 10 French people now knowing the name of at least one SVoD platform.
- 83 per cent of SVoD subscribers admit to sharing their subscription with at least one other person. You can also take into account several users per subscription.
- 44 per cent of subscribers watch SVoD content daily.
- French audiences enjoy exclusive content, particularly Narcos and Stranger Things on Netflix, and Medicis and Riviera on SFR Play.
- French users cite the personalised library, offline viewing, ad free viewing and easy cancellations as further reasons they enjoy SVoD platforms.