Spain, Hong Kong climb Netflix ISP Speed Index
March 13, 2018
Netflix has released February data from its ISP Speed Index, a monthly update on which Internet Service Providers (ISPs) provide the best primetime Netflix streaming experience.
Hong Kong’s iCable enjoyed the biggest speed increase in February, with a gain of 0.58 Megabits per second (Mbps), bringing its average monthly speed up to 3.92 Mbps, up from 3.34 Mbps in January. The gain, among others, helped Hong Kong jump four spots to No. 2 in our country rankings.
India’s Reliance Communications bounced back from its speed decline last month, with speeds gaining to a monthly average of 2.01 Mbps, up from 1.52 Mbps in January. Spain rose four spots in our country rankings, bolstered by Telefonica-Movistar, whose average monthly speed went up to 2.79 Mbps (from 2.46 Mbps in January).
Speeds at ISPs in Israel experienced significant gains, lifting Israel six spots to 14th in our country rankings:
- 099.net saw speeds climb by 0.47 Mbps, increasing its average monthly speed to 3.26 Mbps (up from 2.79 Mbps last month).
- Netvision’s speeds continued to gain from January, increasing to an average monthly speed of 3.71 Mbps (up from 3.35 Mbps last month).
- Partner’s speeds increased by 0.29 Mbps, increasing to an average monthly speed of 3.94 Mbps (up from 3.65 Mbps last month).
In Saudi Arabia, speed gains at Mobily and STC bounced back from their losses last month. Mobily’s speeds increased to a monthly average of 2.95 Mbps (from 2.59 Mbps in January) and STC’s speeds gained by 0.30 Mbps to a monthly average of 2.47 Mbps (from 2.17 Mbps in January).
Significant speed losses in February include:
- Kuwait’s Qualitynet, its monthly average slowing to 2.82 Mbps from 3.07 Mbps in January, and Gulfnet, its monthly average slowing to 1.89 Mbps down from 2.15 Mbps in January.
- Spain’s Jazztel DSL, decreasing to a 2.81 Mbps monthly average, down from 3.16 Mbps last month.
- Indonesia’s Indosat-Fibre, continuing its speed decreases from last month. Its monthly average speed slowed to 3.32 Mbps, down from 3.69 Mbps in January.