Advanced Television

SES cracks Uganda with 2.7m homes

June 5, 2018

By Chris Forrester

Satellite operator SES says that it has conducted a first-of-its-kind survey of the market in Uganda, and says the country is an “open field” for TV growth with 51 per cent of homes yet to switch on to TV.

Currently, SES is supplying TV channels to some 2.7 million homes in the country according to its Satellite Monitor study. Of that 2.7 million more than 1.4 million are served directly by its satellite fleet. This demonstrates the leading position of SES in satellite broadcasting as it directly reaches 74 per cent of all satellite TV homes in the country. In addition, more than 1.2 million DTT homes are fed indirectly by SES.

The results of the study also reveal the strong potential growth for the broadcasting industry in Uganda: out of 8 million homes, 49 per cent are equipped with TV reception, while the other 51 per cent don’t have access to TV yet. Out of the 4 million TV homes, 48 per cnt are reached by satellite and the rest are served by terrestrial networks.

The Satellite Monitor study, commissioned by SES and carried out by various independent institutes, has been conducted for over 20 years in Europe and has been successfully replicated in various African markets such as Nigeria and Ghana. This year the survey was expanded with the addition of three African countries: Uganda, Tanzania and Ethiopia. For the survey in Uganda, the first of its kind in the country, 4,000 interviews were conducted.

“Expanding the Satellite Monitor study to five African countries is yet another indication of our commitment to the region,” said Clint Brown, VP/Sales and Market Development for Africa, SES Video. “The study shows there is an open field for TV growth in Uganda, and our goal is to support the local industry players seizing those growth opportunities. With the advantage of reach, satellites are the ideal infrastructure for broadcasters to expand their audience in Uganda. As we provide optimal coverage over the region, and have local expertise of the broadcasting landscape, we are well positioned to help them switch more homes to TV.”

SES says it has increased its reach to 30 million TV homes across Africa. Along with Uganda, Ethiopia and Tanzania were included in the Satellite Monitor for the first year and together account for 7 million homes. SES has seen strong growth in West Africa, with an increase from 3 million to 11 million homes in Nigeria, and from 2 million to 4 million homes in Ghana.

Categories: Articles, Broadcast, DTH/Satellite, DTT/DSO, Markets, Research