Ultra HD Forum releases major Phase A Guidelines v1.5
September 14, 2018
The Ultra HD Forum, the global organisation promoting the industry’s proven best practices for the delivery of immersive UHD experiences, has released a major Phase A Guidelines update.
Version 1.5 is the fifth public release and reflects another intense year of collective industry experience. Key changes from version 1.4 are:
- Descriptions and workflow diagrams of four “real world” deployments of UHD / HDR services for marquee television events (major sports tournaments, parades, etc.).
- Synergies between Phase A and Phase B technologies. (Phase B technologies are independent, incremental additions to the foundation of Phase A technologies.)
- Important new standards that support Phase A workflows, including SMPTE ST 2108-1 for carriage of HDR metadata over SDI interfaces.
- Clarification between “HDR10” and “PQ10” to ensure alignment with other new SDOs’ specifications such as SCTE’s.
- More detail about two-step forensic watermarking methods.
Ultra HD Forum Phase A guidelines were first published in 2016, and include:
- End-to-end workflows for UHD services
- Resolutions of 1080p (with HDR) and 2160p
- HDR / WCG (PQ10, HLG10 and HDR10)
- Channel-based immersive audio