Canal+ unveils business transformation; confirms lay-offs
July 9, 2019
By Colin Mann
Following reports that it was set to axe up to 500 jobs, the Canal+ management has presented to union representatives details of a project to transform its French activities. This could lead to the departure of a maximum of 492 people, conducted exclusively on a voluntary basis.
In a statement , the broadcaster said that in response to the “upheavals” of the audiovisual sector and the transformation of its businesses, it had been committed for several years to redefining its growth model in order to become a global player in French and European culture. To this end, the company accelerated its international development and started a digital switchover to offer an original customer experience, attractive and renewed.
In France, in an effort to return to a dynamic of profitable and sustainable growth, Canal+ has since 2015 taken many initiatives: Total redesign of its offers – with for the first time Canal+ accessible to less than €20 and without a contract; launch of innovative offers (Canal + Séries); development of new partnerships with telecom operators; massive investment in programmes (more than €3 billion annually) and technology (myCANAL, decoders). Added to this is a savings plan initiated more than three years ago.
“Unfortunately, these achievements are still insufficient as the transformation of our sector is like a revolution with global platforms, natively digital and international, which have a considerable financial strength and escape the fiscal and regulatory constraints which weigh on the Canal + Group,” says the company.
“This is why the company’s transformation towards digitalisation and increased agility in the organisation are unavoidable: they alone will ensure the growth and sustainability of the Canal+ Group while allowing it to pursue its ambition to export worldwide. French and European culture,” I states, suggesting that the Canal+ reorganisation project, presented today to the company’s Social and Economic Committee, responds to this ambition.
“This new organisation, which would be implemented after the information-consultation procedure, could lead to the departure of a maximum of 492 people, solely on a voluntary basis,” says Canal+.
Throughout this procedure, which will open on July 15th and 16th, 2019, Canal+ management intends to favour social dialogue path to identify, in consultation with social partners, the most appropriate and sustainable support solutions. In the near future, it will initiate negotiations to define the terms and conditions of a voluntary departure plan.