SLING TV unveils new app experience
May 26, 2021
Live streaming TV service SLING TV has launched a new app in beta, which features a powerful personalisation engine designed to give users an effortless entertainment experience and make discovering and enjoying content easier than ever.
The new SLING TV app is available to select customers using Amazon Fire TV devices with even more great features coming in future releases. It will continue rolling out across all SLING TV compatible devices throughout 2021, including availability on Roku devices this summer.
“Our goal with the new app is clear: to make our customer experience as compelling as the extraordinary live content we deliver,” said Michael Schwimmer, group president, SLING TV. “After a year of talking to customers and working with our design and advanced engineering teams, we’re happy to roll out the new SLING TV app to deliver the best in live sports, news and entertainment, at the same unbeatable low price point. SLING TV has always been a leader in the industry known for innovation and value. With our new app, customers will know SLING TV as a first class streaming experience.”
The new design is the most comprehensive update in SLING TV’s history. It offers a more personalised, intuitive and elegant design that allows users to quickly discover top TV shows, movies and more. Key changes include:
- Brand-new Home Screen: With the new Home Screen, SLING TV delivers a powerful recommendation engine where users can discover the most relevant content, including their favourite shows and recordings, quickly and easily. A new section spotlights the perfect movies and shows chosen specifically for the user.
- Reimagined Guide: While keeping a familiar feel that users have come to know and love, the reimagined Guide makes it easier to mark favourite channels, Filter and A-Z Sort the Guide order, quickly record a show and seamlessly explore channel details.
- Easy-to-use DVR: The addition of a new, dedicated DVR tab allows users to easily watch and manage all recorded content in one place. SLING TV now has 50 hours of free DVR storage and the ability to upgrade to 200 hours for $5/mo. with DVR Plus, so users won’t miss out on any favourites.
- Enhanced Video Experience: Users can easily pause, rewind, fast-forward and record live TV, and can seamlessly jump between recently watched channels without missing a moment.
- Intuitive Navigation: A new, streamlined navigation on the left makes it easier to discover content. Users can quickly explore the Guide, see on-demand content or browse recordings.
- Smart Search: Looking for something to watch? SLING TV’s new Smart Search feature narrows down the options to help discover the perfect fit. It also allows users to find previous searches with just one click and instantly shows results as users type.
- On-Demand Content: Enhanced discovery and navigation tools facilitate customers’ effortless exploration of SLING TV’s 150K+ on-demand TV shows, movies and more.
“When we began the process of reimagining the app, we started with the customer,” advised Jon Lin, vice president of Product, SLING TV. “After immense testing and direct feedback across our customer base, we’ve developed a design that gives the user an effortless experience. If a streaming app is done right, it should be practically invisible, allowing the user to get to the most relevant content quickly and easily — the new SLING TV experience does just that.”
Innovation is at the core of the new experience, with features such as a section within the Home Screen spotlighting a mix of personalised recommendations and editorial curation; the dedicated DVR tab with a trash bin making it easy to delete and manage storage capacity; and the reimagined Guide allowing users to expand programme view to get more details without a single click.