Non-cellular 5G tech gets ITU-R approval

  •   
  •   
  •   

The world’s first non-cellular 5G technology standard has been recognised by International Telecommunication Union’s Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) and included as part of the 5G standards in IMT-2020 technology recommendation.

Wirepas, a Finnish company on a mission to democratise IoT, is the key contributor of the new standard that sets an example of future connectivity: the infrastructure-less and autonomous, decentralised technology is designed for massive IoT networks for enterprises. It has no single points of failure and is accessible to anyone, costing only a fraction of the cellular networks both in dollars and in carbon footprint.

“Why should cutting-edge connectivity be optimised for a selected few? Why should only the few benefits from technology mastery and collect profits? We believe latest technology made affordable is the foundation of a more egalitarian business environment, a more egalitarian world. Wirepas opened its revolutionary mesh technology to everyone and the resulting new 5G IoT standard has been built ground up so that anyone, even small and mid-size companies, can afford and understand it. This is the first technology that can cost-efficiently connect millions of devices. It’s the first step towards digitalisation for masses with much more to come,” says Teppo Hemiä, CEO of Wirepas.

“This new 5G IoT standard has been the missing piece in the wide-scale adoption of IoT. We know today only 5 per cent of things that will be connected, are connected. To connect the remaining 95 per cent, we need to let go of how things have been done in the past and dare to go a different route. We see this new standard as the start of a new era for connectivity,” Hemiä added: “Many great international connectivity standards have been born in Europe. Many of our employees have been part of creating those. Now we are proud to bring in the next big European contribution.”


  •   
  •   
  •   

You must be logged in to post a comment Login