Data: Record January ad-spend in US
February 18, 2022
January 2022 ad spend in the US surpassed January 2021 by $1.1 billion, growing +19 per cent year-over-year, hitting a new record high for the month.
This is according to Standard Media Index (SMI) who captures actual invoicing data from all major holding companies and most major independents, representing 95 per cent of national brand ad spend.
Findings also include:
- Digital remained the only channel with double-digit quarterly increases vs. the prior year, going back to Q4 2020.
- Linear TV also contributed to the upward momentum across channels YoY, as broadcast TV (+19 per cent) offset modest Cable TV decline (-3 per cent).
- OOH continues to make positive upward strides, rising +133 per cent in Jan 2022 YoY.
- Technology moved to the # 1 position once more, outperforming CPG as also seen in December, with a +31 per cent boost over Jan 2021. All subcategories within technology increased investment during January 2022, pushing the overall category +25 per cent beyond 2019 levels.
- Entertainment & Media (+49 per cent) expanded sharply as motion pictures and TV networks exhibited the heaviest upward momentum, leveraging Digital & returning to stronger linear TV presence YoY.
- Auto was the only category to experience a reduction in ad revenue, -7 per cent vs. Jan 2021.