WICC free on DAZN YouTube channel
August 11, 2022
By Nik Roseveare
DAZN, the global sports entertainment platform, will exclusively broadcast the Women’s International Champions Cup (WICC) in over 175 markets and territories worldwide, including the UK, France, Canada, Italy, Spain and DACH. The tournament – which features four of the biggest European and North American club team – will be available both live and on demand on DAZN as well as for free on DAZN’s dedicated UEFA Women’s Champions League (UWCL) YouTube channel.
In a year when the meteoric rise of women’s sport continues, including record-breaking viewership and attendance from the last season of the UWCL to the recent UEFA Women’s EURO, DAZN says it is as committed as ever to its steadfast mission of accelerating interest in the women’s game through global exposure. Notably, DAZN has guaranteed both WICC matches featuring reigning UWCL champs Olympique Lyonnais will be available in French language commentary, to ensure a more engaging viewing experience for French footy fanatics.
This year’s Women’s International Champions Cup will feature four trophy-winning teams that represent the best in women’s club soccer.
- Olympique Lyonnais (France): Winners of the 2022 UEFA Women’s Champions League tropy, 2021-22 D1 Féminine, and 2019 WICC championship title.
- Chelsea FC Women’s (England): Winners of the 2021-22 FA Women’s Super League and 2022 Women’s FA Cup, making their WICC debut.
- Portland Thorns (USA): 2021 WICC defending champions, qualifying as winners of the 2021 NWSL Shield and 2021 NWSL Challenge Cup.
- C.F. Monterrey (Mexico): 2021 Torneo Grita México Apertura champions and first team ever from Mexico to compete in the WICC.
The full schedule is as follows, with all events taking place at Providence Park, Oregon – the home of the Portland Thorns:
- Match Day 1, August 17th:
- Semi-Final 1: Olympique Lyonnais vs. Chelsea FC Women’s
- Semi-Final 2: Portland Thorns vs. C.F. Monterrey
- Match Day 2, August 20th:
- Third Place Match
- Championship Final
“Securing the global rights to the Women’s International Champions Cup is fantastic for DAZN as we continue to grow audiences and engagement in women’s sport,” said Shay Segev, CEO, DAZN Group. “This tournament comes after an unforgettable summer of women’s football in Europe, and it promises to be an exciting precursor to the next UWCL season on DAZN.”