Fortnite goes Super Saiyan with Dragon Ball
August 16, 2022
Legendary anime studio Toei Animation and interactive entertainment developer Epic Games have joined forces to power up Fortnite with Dragon Ball. The iconic anime characters Goku, Vegeta, Bulma and Beerus have now joined the world of Fortnite in a full Dragon Ball themed collaboration that includes new gameplay items, Quests, Dragon Ball Islands, and more.
“We’re thrilled to partner with Epic Games and bring this first-ever Toei Animation franchise integration to Fortnite,” said Lisa Yamatoya, director of global marketing for Toei Animation Inc. “Over the last 36 years, the Dragon Ball franchise has built perhaps the largest global fanbase of any anime. And this multi-generational mainstream audience makes Dragon Ball ideally suited for a collaboration with Fortnite and its worldwide community of players. We’re excited to see the response to Dragon Ball’s arrival in Fortnite.”
The Fortnite and Dragon Ball collaboration includes:
- Dragon Ball Item Shop: Players can head to Fortnite’s Item Shop to suit up as fan-favorite characters Goku, Vegeta, Bulma, and Beerus. The collaboration also offers a Dragon Ball collection of Back Blings, Pickaxes, Gliders, and Emotes such as The Charging Up Emote and The Fusion Emote.
- Power Unleashed Quests: A new “Dragon Ball: Power Unleashed!” tab has arrived inside of Fortnite, full of limited-time Quests and rewards. Complete the seven sets of Quests, collect all seven Dragon Balls, and players will score the Shenron Glider.
- Battle With Versus Boards: Special for the Dragon Ball collaboration, Versus Boards pit players against one another in a fight to be the Island’s strongest. Both players must opt into a battle by interacting with a Board on the Island. Once a rival is chosen, players each will be revealed on the other’s map and have five minutes to defeat their opponent.
- Go Even Further Beyond in Battle Royale: Players can wield the powers of Goku with new gameplay items in Fortnite. The Kamehameha will let anyone who wields it launch a devastating energy beam at foes, while the Nimbus Cloud (Kintoun) will let players take flight around the Island.
- Dragon Ball Super Episode Festival: From August 16 until September 17, 2022, players can board a cruise ship inside of Fortnite and watch select Dragon Ball Super episodes with their friends. To hop in, visit Fortnite’s “Discover” page.
- Tournament of Power: The Tournament of Power, a Battle Royale Duos tournament, takes place in Fortnite for all regions starting August 18, 2022 (specific event timing for each region can be found in the “Compete” tab in Fortnite). The Tournament of Power will also feature an additional Kamehameha Leaderboard for eliminating players with the powerful Kamehameha. Players who earn 3 Kamehameha elimination points will be awarded the Beerus Eating Emoticon.
- Dragon Ball Adventure Island: Explore iconic locations from Dragon Ball on the Dragon Ball Adventure Island starting August 19, 2022. Fans can soar through a ring course on a Nimbus Cloud (Kintoun) at Kami’s Palace, prepare food at Goku’s House, and traverse an obstacle course at the Room of Spirit & Time. Additionally, fans can test their power in an open player-vs-player battle arena “Tenkaichi Budokai.” The Dragon Ball Adventure Island experience is accessible through Fortnite’s “Discover” page.
“Fortnite and celebrating fandom go hand in hand, and Dragon Ball is truly beloved all over the world,” said Claire Ripsteen, Fortnite Partnerships for Epic Games. “We’re excited to be partnering with Toei Animation to offer Fortnite and Dragon Ball fans alike a unique chance to experience their favorite anime in a way that only Fortnite can offer – whether it be exploring the Dragon Ball Adventure Island, watching Dragon Ball Super episodes with friends, or wielding the powers of Goku through new gameplay items.”