Advanced Television

Spain seeks agreement for second DTT migration

December 14, 2016

From David Del Valle in Madrid

The Spanish Government is seeking an agreement with all players involved in the second DTT migration scheduled for 2020 or 2022.

The minister of Energy, Tourism and Digital Agenda, Alvaro Nadal, is willing to open negotiations with all parties “to set the schedule and the procedure to release the (700 MHz) band, guaranteeing at the same time the continuity of DTT”.

For broadband, the government plans that 98 per cent of the population will have broadband coverage of at least 30 Mbps by 2020, while the other 2 per cent while the other 2 per cent will be connected through satellite or wireless connections.

Nadal said that networks at 100 Mbps are now reaching 70 per cent of the population, of which 63 per cent are through fibre optic and 7 per cent via coaxial cable; with 4G reaching 94 per cent of the country.


Categories: Articles, Broadband, DTT/DSO