Advanced Television

Oz A$43bn broadband network plan

April 6, 2009

The Australian Government has revealed plans to set up a majority owned company to build a A$43 billion national high speed broadband network after no single company was willing to meet its needs in a tender process.

The new company, which could be 49 per cent owned by the private sector, will invest the A$43 billion over eight years to build the network. The planned new network will connect 90 per cent of Australians with broadbande speeds of up to 100 megabits per second via a fiber to the premises network, and will connect the remaining 10 per cent of Australians through next generation wireless technologies.

Categories: Articles, Broadband