SpaceX: Broadband plan slows down
February 23, 2018
By Chris Forrester
Despite the success of launch of two test craft for its intended 12,000 “Starlink” satellite broadband-by-satellite global coverage scheme on February 22nd, SpaceX is now cautioning that the deployment of the constellation and service commencement will take longer than first announced.
The Wall Street Journal is reporting that these two prototypes, important as they are, will not lead to a rush of other launches. SpaceX’s spokesman John Taylor told the WSJ that that would be substantial delays from the project’s initial plan and already filed with the FCC.
That initial concept saw service introduction in 2020, although Mr Taylor’s comments did not give a fresh date. Taylor told the WSJ that SpaceX still have considerable technical work ahead to design and deploy the first portion of the constellation of some 4400 satellites.
SpaceX founder Elon Musk is on record with the FCC that an initial batch of 800 satellites would be orbiting by 2020. Musk has previously said that his satellite internet business could win 40 million subscribers by 2025.