India: MIB threatens 92 MSOs with closure
June 6, 2018
By Chris Forrester
India’s Ministry of Information & Broadcasting (MIB) rarely carries out threats but it is indicative of how fed up it is with the 92 – quite significant – multi-system cable operators (MSOs) who have yet to supply key data.
The MIB demand says that the MSOs must supply details, or “show cause” as to why they cannot conform to the Ministry’s requests. A letter was sent a year ago on June 28th 2017, and followed up with a reminder on August 31st, asking for straightforward details as to the number of channels carried, the number of digital set-top boxes installed, core subscriber numbers, and the number of boxes which were carrying ‘management information system’ information.
The MIB gave these MSOs a 15-day warning back in August last year. And still the MSOs failed to comply.
“Now, it has been decided to give a final opportunity to reply to the Show Cause Notice and furnish the information sought vide letter dated 28/06/2017,” the MIB said in its final notice dated April 24th 2018. “If your reply is not received within the stipulated time, it will be presumed that you have no comments to offer in the matter and your MSO registration may be cancelled,” the Ministry added.