Advanced Television

Italian broadcasting sector worth €8.8bn in 2017

January 17, 2019

From Branislav Pekic in Rome

The Italian broadcasting (TV and radio) sector was worth €8.8 billion in 2017, down by 1.1 per cent on the previous year, according to figures from AgCom.

The free-to-air TV segment accounted for €4.8 billion (54.2 per cent of the total), subscription-based TV services totaled €3.4 billion (38.8 per cent), while revenues from radio services reached €623 million.

In the FTA segment, 63.1 per cent of revenues came from advertising, 35 per cent from the TV licence fee and the remaining 1 per cent from “conventions and provisions”.

In the subscription-based segment, 90.7 per cent of revenues came from subscriptions and the remaining 9.3 per cent from advertising.

The value of the media sector as a whole in Italy amounted to €17.5 billion (-0.9 per cent), with broadcasting responsible for 51 per cent. The main players were Comcast Corporation/Sky (15.4 per cent), Fininvest (15.2 per cent) and RAI Radiotelevisione Italiana (14.1 per cent).

Rounding off the top 10 were Google (4.1 per cent), Cairo Communication (3.8 per cent), GEDI Gruppo Editoriale (3.2 per cent), Facebook (2.7 per cent), Discovery (1.3 per cent), Italiaonline (1.3 per cent) and Gruppo 24 Ore (1.1 per cent).

Categories: Articles, Broadcast, Markets, Research