Amazon bringing “FIFA Gate” scandal to Prime Video
March 26, 2019
Amazon is bringing a new Prime Original series El Presidente to audiences across Latin America and around the world, an eight one-hour episode stylised drama series from Gaumont inspired by the real‐life characters and events behind the 2015 “FIFA Gate” corruption scandal. The series, which goes into production this year, will be helmed by Academy Award-winning director and screenwriter Armando Bo (Birdman) who will direct and executive produce the series.
In addition to Bo, the series will feature a star-studded cast led by Andrés Parra (Pablo Escobar: El Patrón del Mal), Paulina Gaitán (Diablo Guardian) and Karla Souza (How to Get Away with Murder), among others.
El Presidente is co-produced by Gaumont with production partners, Fabula, the Academy Award-winning production company led by Pablo and Juan de Dios Larraín; and Argentina-based production company Kapow. Set against the backdrop of cities across Latin America, the U.S. and Europe, the series explores the sports scandal that rocked the world through the story of Jadue (Parra), a small‐time Chilean football club president who rose from obscurity to become a key player in a $150M bribery conspiracy at the hand of the infamous president of the Argentine football association, Julio Grondona.
Statements from the production team are as follows:
- “We are excited to bring El Presidente to Prime Video, a title that strengthens our commitment to producing compelling local stories told by the very best in local talent for our customers around the world,” said Pablo Iacoviello, Head of Latin America Content Acquisition, Amazon Prime Video. “El Presidente presents a story filled with corruption and lies around one of the biggest religions in Latin America: soccer.”
- “Gaumont is thrilled to be working with Amazon Prime Video on our first project coming out of our Latin American TV co-production efforts,” commented Vanessa Shapiro, President, Worldwide TV Distribution and Co-Production at Gaumont. “Based on true facts, El Presidente packs massive global appeal and provides an unfiltered, behind the scenes look into the world’s most watched sport, soccer.”
- “El Presidente will show the world, with loads of irony, how the most beloved sport of all is in fact a multimillionaire business run by a ridiculous mob we have never seen before: the Football Mafia,” said series director Armando Bo.
- “Behind the passion that thrilled the masses was a web of corruption and intrigue that seemed impenetrable, until one day, someone let the wrong man into the family,” added Fabula’s Pablo Larraín.
- Kapow’s Agustín Sacanell explains, “El Presidente represents the opportunity to narrate the Latin American plot of FIFA Gate, with fascinating characters and their real stories that surpass any fiction imaginable. Money, corruption, power and lust. A catch-all cocktail that will be sure to capture audiences everywhere.”
El Presidente is among the seven newly greenlit and returning Mexican Prime Original series announced recently by Amazon. The series will join the streaming service’s growing slate of local original productions in Latin America which to date include the critically acclaimed Diablo Guardián and hit series Un Extraño Enemigo, as well as the wildly hilarious LOL: Last One Laughing with Eugenio Derbez.
At launch, Prime members will be able to stream the series exclusively via the Amazon Prime Video app for TVs, connected devices including Fire TV, mobile devices and online. Members can also download the series to mobile devices for offline viewing at no additional cost to their membership. The series will be a global release and available on PrimeVideo.com for Prime Video members in more than 200 countries and territories.