The Rudd Government has unveiled a pilot package to drive the availability of improved television services as Australia makes the transition to digital.
“This package focuses on Australia’s leading digital television region of Sunraysia, centred on the city of Mildura in north-west Victoria, and will ensure that free-to-air digital television is made available to all viewing households.” said Senator Stephen Conroy, Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy.
The suite of measures includes:
– a package of in-home assistance to help targeted households
– a new satellite service to extend access to digital TV
– working with the local community to improve awareness and understanding of switchover
– a labelling scheme to help consumers to easily identify digital ready products, and
– a national call centre and a web site providing switchover information.
The Rudd Government has designed a progressive timetable for digital television switchover starting with Sunraysia in 2010.