Advanced Television

Sky Mexico hits 3m DTH subs

February 24, 2011

By Chris Forrester

Along with the impressive DirecTV results, released yesterday, the numbers are also in for Sky Mexico, a joint-venture between Televisa and DirecTV. Sky Mexico has topped 3 million subs (3.04m) as at December 31st, and a huge 35.6 per cent jump since 2009 (where DTH subs totalled 1.95m).

A joint press release from Mexico City talks of the results coming from the launching of new low-cost packages, and the boost given by last year’s all-important soccer World Cup.

Sky competes in the Mexican market with rival DTH player Dish Mexico and the cable operator Megacable, among others. Televisa Group control 58.7 per cent of Sky Mexico, with DirecTV holding the remaining 41.3 per cent.

Categories: Articles, Broadcast, Business, DTH/Satellite, Results