Advanced Television

Italian DTT penetration hits 85%

October 4, 2011

Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) penetration in Italy has risen to 84.7 per cent at the end of July 2011, according to market research published by E-Res.

The number of Italian households with at least one DTT receiver in the principal residence rose to about 21 million, an increase of 900,000 units compared to the figures from the previous three months. Compared to a year before, there are four million new DTT households. Overall, the number of digital boxes in Italian homes reached 36.5 million, for a penetration of 74.6% of total TV sets.

Between June and July, the number of receivers sold amounted to 1.35 million. Of these, approximately 69% (936,000) are integrated, 26% (357,000) are zappers, while the remaining 5% are MHP set-top boxes.

The cumulative number of DTT receivers sold in Italy since February 2004 stood at 52.5 million. Of these, 23.5 million are integrated (44.8% of total) and the remaining 29 million (55.2%) are external.

A study by Studio Frasi based on Nielsen TAM data reveals that 81.3% of Italians watch TV distributed via digital platforms, representing an annual growth of 27%. DTT is still the most widely used platform, (64%), followed by DTH/satellite (17%), while analogue has dropped to 18.7 per cent.



Categories: Articles, Broadcast, DTT/DSO, Research