TV still dominant – even for millennials
October 14, 2015
One of the most common myths we hear in the marketplace is “millennials don’t watch TV” according to the Video Advertising bureau (VAB).
A multiscreen insight report from VAB inspected the video landscape with a specific look at young adults 18-34 and revealed that there is no denying millennials have a strong thirst for premium, multi-screen video content – and for traditional TV.
Highlights of the findings include:
TV remains the dominant video platform across all demographics, even millennials
• 80 per cent of millennial’s video time is spent with TV
• ‘Live TV’ comprises bulk of viewing
Migration of video viewers from computer to smartphone has accelerated
• 8 per cent less consumers watching video on computer (P18+)
• 16 per cent increase in smartphone video consumption; 45 per cent more time spent (P18+)
• App/Web usage reached highest level to date, 176 million/ monthly (P2+)
Multimedia device penetration and usage rose to over 61 million (P2+)
• Time spent with multimedia devices is highest among millennials
• Hispanics & Asians are exhibiting significant gains