Rakuten TV premieres season 2 of Discovering Canary Islands
January 16, 2024
The adventure reality show Discovering Canary Islands, original content from Rakuten TV, returns for a second season, produced with the support of Turismo de Islas Canarias and with the collaboration of Initiative and Atlantia. Hosted again by presenter Pilar Rubio, the new series premieres exclusively and free of charge on Rakuten TV on January 26th.
After the success of the first season, in which eight contestants of eight different nationalities competed for the first time in a reality show, Discovering Canary Islands returns to the beautiful Canary Islands for more action. Eight new contestants – each a well-known influencer – will commence a new search for the mythical island of San Borondon. Season two is packed with many new places and stories about the Wandering Island that appears and disappears in the Atlantic, always close to the Fortunate Islands.
As the contestants compete, the ‘explorers’ will embark on a fascinating journey through all the islands of the Canary archipelago, from La Graciosa to the mysterious San Borondon. On this journey, they will combine the competition with an immersion in the rich Canarian culture and history, discovering the mysteries of the ancient inhabitants and exploring legends and tales at each stop, starting in Lanzarote, passing through Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, La Palma and La Gomera and El Hierro.
Pilar Rubio returns to host the series, which explores the most incredible and surprising myths of the Canary Islands where the contestants will learn more about the local culture and traditions, as well as about themselves and each other. A voyage of discovery, devised and co-produced by Mediabrands Content Studio and Atlantia Media, and produced by Turismo de Islas Canarias, which, during six episodes, will be full of tests that champion the charms of the region to the viewers.
Discovering Canary Islands redefines adventure reality shows by being the first to bring together eight contestants from eight different countries. The show immerses participants and viewers in the local culture, using legends as a common thread. With eco-sustainable filming in the Canary Islands, featuring stunning locations on eight islands, the production has generated more than 400 hours of material to offer a family-friendly, fast-paced, and surprising reality show.
For Canary Islands Tourism, the series represents the continuation of an innovative strategy in the tourism promotion sector, that has allowed the archipelago to enter the entertainment industry. With Discovering Canary Islands, the public company of the Canary Islands Government has created an audiovisual asset made expressly for the brand and perfectly aligned with the latest trends in television consumption, which has earned it nine awards from national and international marketing and advertising professionals.
The series’ participants are all well-known influencers who will compete to be the best explorer of Europe:
- Giuseppe Revisato: Italy. 25 years old. He is a cruise ship entertainer, and everyone knows him as “Peppe”. He is a father and is used to taking responsibility from a very young age. He is fun-loving and promises to liven up every stage of the competition.
- Kim Wallin: Sweden. 56 years old. Passionate about fashion, Kim has been a successful model since the 90s modelling in Sweden and internationally. With a modern style, he will bring a sense of suave and sophistication to the challenges on the show.
- Dylan Evans: UK. 30 years old. He is a Tik Tok star with more than two million followers, making humorous videos that go viral in minutes. He’s expected to bring a touch of madness to the show.
- Deborah Vanlingen: Belgium. 31 years old. She was a nurse for 10 years until uterine cancer stopped her life in its tracks in 2020, at which point she decided it was time for a change, launching her own clothing line. She is very feisty, emotional, and full of character.
- Jane Karto: The Netherlands. 27 years old. Jane is a Dutch actress who has acted in multiple series and films in her country. She was in the military for several years, and her ongoing passion for fitness has seen her participating in an online endurance show that has been running for 5 seasons where she faces different challenges.
- Laura Nolan: Ireland, 29 years old. She has been competing in the world of dance since she was 3 years old. She is a true warrior who is not afraid of any challenge. She is friendly, competitive, and very strong. She became a well-known face in Ireland starring on Dancing with the Stars as a pro-dancer for five seasons.
- Sam Dylan: Germany, 32 years old. Sam rose to fame after his time on German reality series Prince Charming. His popularity led to him becoming a regular on more German reality shows including Big Brother VIP. He joins Discovering Canary Islands with experience and reality game play knowledge, bringing an edge to the competition.
- Cindy Miranda: France, 25 years old. Cindy is a former flight attendant in the French armed forces, working with high-ranking military officials including French Prime Minister François Fillon. After her career in the army, she took part in Love Island France, where her magnetic personality endeared her to the audience and the contestant who became her partner.
On January 26th, the second edition of Discovering Canary Islands will be added to the collection Rakuten Originals, which presents Rakuten TV’s original, exclusive and free content in a total of 42 European countries, through stories of optimism, empowerment and diversity that reflect the company’s DNA.