Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Japanese networks in streaming pact

Japan’s major commercial television networks have agreed to develop jointly a system that will enable simultaneous broadcasting of broadcast TV content via IP.

Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, TV Asahi, TV Tokyo and Fuji Television Network have agreed in principle to invest in a joint venture established by Nippon Television Network and Internet Service Provider Internet Initiative Japan (IIJ). The joint venture, JOCDN, will be 20 per cent owned by IIJ. The remaining 80 per cent stake will be equally divided among the five broadcasters.

Content delivery network JOCDN is developing a proprietary system to enable real time streaming of TV broadcasts over the Internet with image quality comparable to that offered by free-to-air linear TV services.

Initially, the partners would use JOCDN’s system to stream content offered by the Japanese version of premium entertainment streaming service Hulu, as well as by TVer, a portal site that offers viewing of programmes already screened by the main networks. Ultimately, JOCDN intends to offer 4K Ultra-High Definition streaming.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login