Accenture: “Super platforms to disrupt broadcasters”
March 30, 2016
Ahead of the National Association of Broadcasters Show 2016 kicking off on April 16th, Gavin Mann, Accenture’s Global Broadcasting Industry Lead, has identified the big trends to look out for at the show.
Stories to watch out for:
1. Super Platforms Spawn a Billion New Live Broadcasters – The super platform giants, like Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Google, will drive radical disruption for broadcasters.
2. Virtual Reality Gets Real – VR opens the door to telling new types of original stories and selling a unique immersive experience to a broad audience.
3. Broadcasting’s Big Disruptor: ATSC 3.0 – For traditional broadcasters, ATSC 3.0 offers the best chance for competing with digital-savvy providers such as Netflix and Apple.
4. A “Data Driven” Broadcast/Video Business – Video services must learn personal preferences, and continually update, customize, and improve experiences across multiple screens.
5. Urgency of Delivering Digital Content – Fueled by social media, consumers are more engaged and technologically literate with their expectations than ever.
6. Cord-Cutting Won’t Kill Cable – While over-the-top providers are currently riding a wave of success, cable TV and broadcasters maintain distinct advantages that keep them in the game.