Asia: 4G remains main broadband driver

  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   

According to Dataxis research, almost 40 per cent of households in 17 Asian countries will be connected to fixed broadband by the end of 2018. But the levels of penetration remain significantly different between mature and emerging economies: penetration of fixed internet lines (xDSL, FTTx and Internet cable) reaches over 90 per cent in South Korea, where broadband speeds are also one of the fastest in the world. On the other hand, less than 10 per cent of households are connected to fixed broadband in Indonesia, India, Bangladesh or Cambodia.

However, mobile broadband developed much faster. An estimated 60 per cent of total Sims in this region are connected to 3G or 4G.

Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia have a much higher penetration of 4G services than fixed broadband. Indeed, the Indonesian government wants to limit the use of feature phones and less than 2 per cent of phones are corrected to 2G today in Thailand. The highest share of 4G is in Taiwan where 2G networks were closed in mid 2017 and 3G is planned to close by the end of 2018.


  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   

You must be logged in to post a comment Login