BBC: World Cup sets streaming records
December 19, 2022
The World Cup Final match on December 18th brought in a peak TV audience of 14.9 million on BBC One, with a TV audience share of 58 per cent.
Argentina’s dramatic victory over France was also streamed 7.1 million times on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport Online.
Audiences flocked to the BBC throughout the World Cup, with a reach of 38.8 million on TV and the tournament streamed a record-breaking 104.7 million times streams on BBC iPlayer and Sport Online.
Barbara Slater, Director of BBC Sport, commented: “One of the greatest World Cup Finals of all time, Argentina and [Lionel] Messi’s victory last night closed off a thrilling four weeks of football. A first ever winter World Cup was a new experience for fans and the BBC has once again demonstrated the value of sport when made freely available to all, breaking new streaming records and providing the highest quality coverage, analysis and entertainment across TV, BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport Online and BBC Sounds.”
World Cup 2022 on the BBC
The BBC’s holistic offer across TV, BBC iPlayer, BBC Sounds and BBC Sport Online proved a hit with audiences, breaking BBC streaming records. Across the tournament:
- Matches were streamed 104.7 million times on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport Online
- There were 52.8 million unique browsers to BBC Sport’s World Cup website
- World Cup 2022 programming was played 10.4 million times on BBC Radio 5 Live, BBC Sounds and BBC Sport Online
The Top 5 Most Requested Live Games on BBC Sport Online and BBC iPlayer:
- England vs Iran, 21/11/22 – 7.9 million
- Argentina vs France, 18/12/22 – 7.1 million
- Wales vs England, 29/11/22 – 5.9 million
- Croatia vs Brazil, 09/12/22 – 5.3 million
- Netherlands vs Argentina, 09/12/22 – 4.6 million
The Top 5 Most Watched Games on BBC Television across the tournament
- Wales vs England, 29/11/22 – Peak of 17.6 million
- Argentina vs France, 18/12/22 – Peak of 14.9 million
- Netherlands vs Argentina, 09/12/22 – Peak of 12.1 million
- France vs Morocco, 14/12/22 – Peak of 10 million
- Spain vs Germany, 27/11/22 – Peak of 9.9 million