FreeWheel has released its Q1 2016 Video Monetisation Report. The research is based on the largest dataset available on the usage and monetisation of professional, rights-managed video content and incorporated data from over 160 billion annual video views and includes insight into global online premium video consumption habits and patterns.
Key highlights include:
– Continued growth year-over-year of video ad views and video views (+24 per cent and +24 per cent, respectively), marking 21 consecutive quarters of growth.
– Consumers continue to have a high level of comfort with ads when viewing outside the traditional TV set; ad completion rates reached 85 per cent during the quarter.
– The cross-platform opportunity continues to grow in scope, as 63 per cent of monetisation now occurs outside desktop environments, so on tablets, smartphones, OTT, and STB VoD.
– Results point to a still emerging market which is almost exclusively skewed to monetising long-form with 91 per cent of European DAI occurring in long-form content.
– Growth in the immediate term and going forward will come from better monetisation of short-form and live content currently 7 per cent and 1 per cent of ad views respectively.
– The overwhelming proportion of European monetisation continues to be driven by entertainment – nine out of every 10 ads in the UK are derived from long-form Entertainment TV-style content – a very different picture from the US.
– In terms of ad views by device, desktop at 49 per cent still leads in Europe with OTT still at an early stage at 13 per cent. Given that long-form content drives monetisation in Europe affordable unlimited data plans are likely a contributory factor in smartphones coming in as the second most used device with 24 per cent share of the platform marketplace.