Survey: Gen Z flocking to interactive video
August 25, 2021
Agora, a platform for real-time engagement APIs, has released research on Gen Z preferences for real-time engagement technologies.
Real-time engagement refers to digital experiences that are interactive, collaborative and shared, through technology like live video, live audio and extended reality (AR and VR). For its research, Agora commissioned a survey of over 1,000 US-based Gen Z respondents in August 2021.
Key findings for developers include:
- Gen Z is Flocking to Interactive Video – Over the last year, 87 per cent say they are using more mobile apps with built-in interactive live video streaming or video calling features.
- Interactive Video & Audio in Gaming Apps is Key — When asked if interactive video or audio were important for their gaming apps, nearly 69 per cent agreed.
- More Than Half Have Tried Interactive Live Audio Streaming – 62 per cent have tried interactive live audio streaming apps, capturing growing popularity for these new services.
- Enhancing Shopping with Extended Reality – 70 per cent said they would prefer retailers to offer AR and VR tech in their apps to test and try products at home before buying.
- Front-Facing Filters Still Essential – When asked if front-facing AR filters are key to keeping them interested in a social media app or service, 63 per cent said “yes.”
“Gen Z is particularly savvy and forward-thinking about their experience in apps and services,” said Tony Zhao, founder and CEO at Agora. “These data points show that they want RTE technology and features integrated across the platforms they use. Developers must meet the moment to stay top-of-mind and further user loyalty.”