Survey: 88% Canadian net users reachable by CTV
November 22, 2022
Eighty-eight per cent of Canadian Internet users are now reachable by connected TV (CTV), with 60 per cent of these consumers using ad-supported CTV apps and channels, according to a study of over 560 Canadian consumers conducted by connected TV and cross-screen advertising specialist LG Ad Solutions to understand consumer perceptions and behaviours related to CTV.
The survey also found that 58 per cent of consumers prefer ad-supported models of CTV. In fact, 18 per cent of consumers have removed a subscription CTV service from the household in the last 12 months while 15 per cent have added a free ad-supported CTV service during the same period. Consumers have indicated that a shift to ad-supported will continue as 20 per cent plan on removing a subscription CTV service in the next 12 months while 13 per cent plan on adding further free ad-supported services during the same period. In fact, 65 per cent of consumers express the desire to trade off less expensive subscriptions for ad inclusion.
“There have been two recent ‘big shifts’ in Canadian television viewing habits – the first was the rise of subscription-driven connected TV, fuelled by rapid adoption related to the initial onset of the pandemic,” notes Tony Marlow, Global CMO at LG Ad Solutions. “And right now, we are in the midst of the second big shift, the adoption of free ad-supported connected TV content. This latest piece of thought leadership shows that most Canadians now both use and prefer ad-supported models of connected TV. This presents an opportunity for marketers to provide better TV experiences for viewers and connect with their audiences on the biggest screen in Canadian homes.”
Additional insights include:
- Netflix is still king for subscriptions: When asked which subscription services consumers use, the top three were: Netflix (76 per cent), Prime Video (56 per cent) and Disney+ (39 per cent)
- Targeting on content vs interest: 73 per cent of consumers express that they prefer ads relevant to their interests while 60 per cent prefer ads relevant to the content they are watching. When it comes to streaming ads in particular, almost half (42 per cent) think streaming ads are more relevant and 29 per cent say they pay more attention to them.
- Homescreen is important for discovery: 48 per cent of consumers search for content to watch directly from the TV’s native home screen
- Multi-tasking is common: 94 per cent multitask with mobile/laptop when watching TV and 18 per cent always multitask.
- Living room TV is the preferred device across content types apart from social video. 88 per cent of CTV households say the living room is their main TV